This past weekend a bunch of my friends and I spent the weekend in downtown Indianapolis for Super Bowl weekend. We drove up from Bloomington with two jeeps and trailer filled with booze and food. We set-up camp 2000 feet from Lucas Oil Stadium from Friday-Sunday, for only $200. I’ve spent weekends in downtown Indianapolis before and never once did i think the city had the capability of throwing a great Super Bowl party, but it did just that this past weekend.
So here are the 5 Reasons why Indianapolis was a great Super Bowl Host city:
1. The city was built for major events: The city is small and condensed but that made it perfect for an event like the Super Bowl. Downtown was shutdown for cars the entire weekend, and everything was in walking distance. From the ESPN tents, to the NFL experience tents, to the Verizon concert stages; you were never more than a ten minute walk away from enjoying the festivities. This wasn’t the first time Indy held a big event either. Indianapolis has hosted many Final Fours, and hosted an American Farmers Association event this past summer, which attracted almost as many visitors as the Super Bowl.
2. Indianapolis natives wanted to host the event: For a lot of host Super Bowl cities that weekend can be a huge hassle and inconvenience for the local residents, not here, not Nap Town. The residents of Indianapolis were pumped to host the Super Bowl and wanted to show off their city. A lot of people coming didn’t have an opinion about Indianapolis going in to the Super Bowl. If they were downtown this weekend, they left loving the city.
3. NO OPEN CONTAINER LAWS: The open container law was dropped for the weekend in the downtown area. People were able to walk around drinking the entire weekend. As long as you weren’t causing problems, the cops just wanted to make sure you were having a good time and safe.
4. Recent City Rennovations: Over the past 4-5 years the city of Indianapolis has made major rennovations. Indianapolis is the only city since 9/11 to build a new airport, it was finished in 2008. I’ve done a lot of traveling in the states and it is by far the quickest and easiest airport to get around, while offering great food. They recently built a huge new Marriott Hotel, and has added many new restaurants and convention centers. Not to mention Lucas Oil Stadium opening 2008. Needless to say, Indianapolis has been preparing for this event for years.
5. THE GIANTS WON: If the giants lost the game my opinion towards Indianapolis might be completely different, but they didn’t, they won. So Congratulations, Indianapolis you did a great job this weekend. You get my stamp of approval! If that means anything to you.